VMP provides training to mentoring program coordinators, youth development professionals, mentors and mentees seeking to enhance their knowledge of mentoring. Research indicates that training is a critical step for a program to enhance the quality and sustainability of mentoring relationships. Join us for a variety of workshop offerings designed to inform and strengthen programs and relationships.
New Mentor Training:
In this in-person, 2-2.5 hour workshop session, new mentors review techniques and frameworks to help prepare them to be the most effective mentors possible. Participants will gain a solid understanding of: a mentor’s role, relationship-building techniques, stages of relationship development, reporting requirements, communication, setting boundaries, and the positive youth development framework. To receive mentor training as an individual or for your program, two options are available:
1. VMP offers regular new mentor training sessions open to the general public at our office location in Richmond. Space is limited to 15 participants. Cost: $25 per person
August 1st, 5:30-8pm Register here
August 22nd, 5:30-8pm Register here
August 29th, 5:30-8pm Register here
September 12th, 5:30-8pm Register here
September 19th, 5:30-8pm Register here
September 26th, 5:30-8pm Register here
October 3rd, 5:30-8pm Register here
October 10th, 5:30-8pm Register here
October 17th, 5:30-8pm Register here
November 7th, 5:30-8pm Register here
November 21st, 5:30-8pm Register here
December 5th, 5:30-8pm Register here
2. VMP schedules private on-site trainings for mentoring programs upon request. Cost: $300 per session + travel costs, if applicable. Call VMP to inquire about scholarship rates.
Click here to request a private training for your program
Elements of Effective Practice Trainings
VMP provides periodic professional development opportunities to equip mentoring program staff with knowledge about best practices associated with high quality, impactful, sustainable programming. Training topics include the standards outlined in the Elements of Effective Practice: Recruitment, Screening, Training, Matching & Initiating, Monitoring & Support, & Closure.
August 8th, 10am-1pm Elements of Effective Practice Training on Recruitment Practices; Register here
Participating in this training will provide program staff the following:
- An opportunity to develop a recruitment plan to meet your program mentor recruitment goals
- Learn successful recruitment strategies
- Apply the recruitment standard from Elements of Effective Practice for Mentoring (4th edition) to program practices
Feel free to bring your lunch to the training session. Come ready to discuss recruitment strategies and practices used in your program.